Pages

Saturday 2 May 2015

April Wrap-up


I want to begin by saying the month of April was a great reading month. I haven't read this much in one month in a long time and I am over the moon about it! After being in a slump for a month and a bit, I'm so glad to finally be out of it. So without further ado, here are the books I read last month. I would also love to know what books you read last month and what you thought of them!

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
Star Rating: 2.5 out of 5

'Afterworlds' follows Darcy Patel and her journey to getting her first book published, moving out of home, and finding her own feet. It also follows the story of the main character in Darcy's book, so that 'Afterworlds' is told in two point of views.

This was the first book I finished in the month of April and to be honest, it wasn't the best book I've read this year. Don't get me wrong, it's still quite a good book; I enjoyed the stories, the writing, the style, and the characters were very interesting and diverse (which I love because we really do need more diversity in books). However, the pacing of the book was off. The switching between P.O.V.'s in the book was done quite awkwardly, and it just didn't flow. I found that the P.O.V. would change at a climax, so by the time I got back to that P.O.V. I had already forgotten what happened perviously and the rush is no longer there. It took me from the end of February to the beginning of April to finish this book and in all honesty, I think it's all because of the pacing and the P.O.V.'s. A few people on Instagram have told me they love this book so I really wanted to like it, but it put me in a reading slump and in the end, I had to just force myself to get through it. I just didn't really enjoy it.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Star Rating: 5 out of 5

Lara Jean has fallen in love five times, and each time, at the end of the road, when her feelings are no longer there, she writes each boy a goodbye love letter. She keeps them in a hatbox, hidden. Until one day, all the letters get sent out and Lara Jean has to clean up the mess.

I absolutely loved this book! Where do I even begin? First of all, Lara Jean is such a fun main character and narrator. She's so relatable and I love that whenever she does something silly, I laugh because "Oh my gosh, that's totally something I would do!" Secondly, I absolutely loved Jenny Han's writing. This is my first time reading her work, and I definitely want to read more after this. Her writing just flows so nicely, nothing ever seems off. And she has a way of making you feel included or part of the story and I love that! Whenever Lara Jean does something stupid, I get second hand embarrassment. When something cute happens, I gush. And that's how I know Jenny Han wrote well. Because I felt for the characters, and every time I read a paragraph, I wanted to read the next one, and the one after that, because the way she writes just makes me want more. I don't really have much to say about this book without spoiling it, so all I'm going to say is that if ever you feel like picking up a lighthearted romance, definitely pick this up!

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Star Rating: 4 out 5

Mia's life is pretty much perfect. She's talented, has a loving family, and a really awesome boyfriend. Until one day, she goes for a drive with her family and they crash and things change.

I don't have a lot to say about this book. I think it'll do you good if you go into it without knowing a lot. All I have to say is that this book is moving, tear-jerking, and inspiring. It's a great book that explores and deals with love and loss in a truly beautiful way. If you're in the mood for something that will teach you a little something about living and dying and loving, then I suggest you go check this one out.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Star Rating: 5 out of 5

'Red Queen' is set in a world where your blood dictates where you stand in society. Where your blood dictates what you can and can't do. The Silvers are metahumans, with powerful abilities. The Reds are mundane, left to do tasks no one wants. Mare Barrow is both - she has the power of a silver, but the blood of a Red.

This book was phenomenal! I won't go into detail because I wrote a full review/discussion on it, (which you can view here if you're interested) but basically, this story was fast-paced, thrilling, intriguing, and so full of deceit! The characters are especially complex and very interesting to read about. The story is full of twists and turns, you really don't know what to expect. And the ending is one that will keep you wanting more. The characters were reminiscent of the cast of 'Throne of Glass' so if you're a fan of Throne of Glass, you should definitely pick this up!

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Star Rating: 50 out of 5

This book is easily the best one I've read this year, I absolutely love it! I won't say anything in this wrap-up except for that because I have a full review on it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment